November 4, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V858000
A loss of power steering assist increases the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V858
Manufacturer Volvo Trucks North America
Potential Number of Units Affected 3
Volvo Trucks North America (Volvo Trucks) is recalling certain 2021 VNL vehicles. A machining defect may cause pressure to build in the power steering pump, breaking the shaft seal and resulting in a loss of power steering assist.
Dealers will replace the power steering pumps, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed December 22, 2021. Owners may contact Volvo Trucks customer service at 1-800-528-6586. Volvo Trucks number for this recall is RVXX2105.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
Volvo Trucks North America
ZF Power Steering Pump Replacement
Volvo has determined that certain model year 2021 trucks may have been built with a defective power steering pump. The possible defect in the power steering pump could cause it to leak power steering fluid. If this happens, there could be a loss of power steering assist. A loss of power steering assist may result in a sudden increase in steering effort, especially at low speeds. This could increase the risk of a crash.
Volvo Trucks has not received any complaints or reports of vehicle crashes because of this issue.
Certain Volvo North America vehicles manufactured between June 22, 2020 and August 17, 2020.
There are 3 vehicles affected by this recall (3 U.S., 0 Canada).
|Part Number||Part Names||Quantity|
|21123415||Power Steering pump||1|
|8161532||Power steering pump mounting gasket||1|
1.Secure vehicle for service.
2.Remove and replace power steering pump referencing IMPACT operation ID 6453-03-02-01.
3.Release vehicle to service.
Diesel Engine mounting gasket shown below
|This repair is covered by an authorized Safety recall. Reimbursement is obtained through the normal claim handling process.|
|Claim Type (used only when uploading from the Dealer Business System)||40|
|Vehicle repaired per instructions||1-Modified per instructions|
|Primary Labor Code:
6453-03-02-01 Power Steering Pump, Replacement
Note: Dealers are to perform Safety Recall Campaign on all subject vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner regardless of mileage, age of vehicle or ownership (original purchaser or subsequent purchasers). Whenever vehicles are subject to a Safety Recall are brought to your dealership for service, or taken into your dealership vehicle inventory, it is strongly recommended that every effort be made to perform the recall correction before the vehicle is sold or released to the owner.
Volvo Trucks Uptime
|Region:||☒U.S. ☐CAN||Bulletin: SRA-V21-05
Date: November 10, 2021
Valid to: N/A
Action Required? ☒Yes ☐No
|From:||Gerard Hones, Regulatory Specialist Government Reporting|
|Subject:||Safety Recall RVXX2105, ZF Power Steering Pump|
Description of Defect:
The power steering pumps will be replaced on the vehicles.
Models/ Model Years Affected:
Volvo 3 (all US)
The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act and Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Act requires dealers to ensure that all new and used vehicles are free of safety defects and comply with all relevant safety standards at the time of delivery to the consumer.
Dealers should make their personnel aware of the safety recall. In the event that a dealer has a vehicle included in the safety recall in their inventory to be sold, the condition must be corrected before releasing it to a customer.
- Vehicle list will be posted on the Trucks Dealer Portal November 10, 2021.
- Owner notification letters will be released on or before December 22, 2021.
1 Affected Product
4 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
Latest Recalls Documents
- Keeps power-steering systems running smoothly and helps stop or reduce fluid loss caused by leaky seals
- Formulated with high-quality oil and fortified with additives to revitalize dried, shrunken, and hardened seals
- Developed for use in GM, Ford, Chrysler, and most foreign cars and light trucks
- Anti-wear agents protect pump components
- Corrosion inhibitors to protect metal components
- Restores performance and smoothest out hard steering
- Quiets squeal and noisy pumps
- Stops leaks
- Conditions seals
- Prevents future leaks
- Package Dimensions: 23.2 H x 6.9 L x 11.2 W (centimetres)
- Package Weight: 0.9 kilograms
- Country of Origin : United States
- Fit type: Universal
- The service solution for ALL European, North American, and Asian vehicles (Honda fluid recommended for Honda/Acura vehicles)
- Reduces friction and protects seals and hoses - extending the life of the power steering system
- Provides excellent cold and high temperature performance eliminating "morning sickness" stiffness
- Excellent for use in electric hydraulic systems
- Cleans and frees sticky turbines and pumps
- Very cost effective
- AFFORDABLE SOLUTIONS
- Improves steering response
- Stops rack and pinion problems
- Helps protect the power steering system for long service life
- Designed to help reduce the effort needed by the driver to turn the vehicle
- Helps transfer power with hydraulic fluids
- Intended to keep power steering system running quietly and efficiently
- Specially formulated for extreme cold temperature vehicle operation
- Pentosin Chf 11S Is A Long-Life, Synthetic High-Performance Hydraulic Fluid For Lifetime Application In Modern Vehicle Systems That Require A Fluid With The Highest Technical Requirements
- Chf 11S Is Specially Formulated For Automotive Hydraulic Systems Such As: Power Steering, Level Control, Shock Absorber, Hydro-Pneumatic Suspension, Stability And Traction Control, Convertible Top Hydraulics, Central Lock Systems, And More
- Perfect For Use In Both Extreme Hot And Cold Conditions With Assured Full Performance From Temperatures As Low As -40C (-40F) Up To +130C (+266F)
- Pentosin Chf 11S Isn'T Just An Excellent Oe Replacement Fluid, In Many Cases It Is The Actual Oe Fluid, Just Without The Vehicle Manufacturers Label; 1 Liter Container - Sold Individually
Last update on 2022-07-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.