November 4, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V858000
A loss of power steering assist increases the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V858
Manufacturer Volvo Trucks North America
Potential Number of Units Affected 3
Volvo Trucks North America (Volvo Trucks) is recalling certain 2021 VNL vehicles. A machining defect may cause pressure to build in the power steering pump, breaking the shaft seal and resulting in a loss of power steering assist.
Dealers will replace the power steering pumps, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed December 22, 2021. Owners may contact Volvo Trucks customer service at 1-800-528-6586. Volvo Trucks number for this recall is RVXX2105.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
ZF Power Steering Pump Replacement
Volvo has determined that certain model year 2021 trucks may have been built with a defective power steering pump. The possible defect in the power steering pump could cause it to leak power steering fluid. If this happens, there could be a loss of power steering assist. A loss of power steering assist may result in a sudden increase in steering effort, especially at low speeds. This could increase the risk of a crash.
Volvo Trucks has not received any complaints or reports of vehicle crashes because of this issue.
Certain Volvo North America vehicles manufactured between June 22, 2020 and August 17, 2020.
There are 3 vehicles affected by this recall (3 U.S., 0 Canada).
|Part Number||Part Names||Quantity|
|21123415||Power Steering pump||1|
|8161532||Power steering pump mounting gasket||1|
1.Secure vehicle for service.
2.Remove and replace power steering pump referencing IMPACT operation ID 6453-03-02-01.
3.Release vehicle to service.
August 23, 2021 Volvo Product Safety Working Group (PSWG) opens investigation.
August 24, 2021 Initial review by PSWG.
September 23, 2021 Additional information received. PSWG notified that ZF filed Equipment Defect Report.
October 18, 2021 PSWG completes investigation. Decision made to raise to Product Safety Committee.
October 28, 2021 Product Safety Committee meets and determines a safety-related defect.
November 4, 2021 573 defect report submitted to NHTSA.
1 Affected Product
9 Associated Documents
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)RCMN-21V858-3217
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2021-4RCLQRT-21V858-4426
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-21V858-7825
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-21V858-5380
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2022-1RCLQRT-21V858-1179
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2022-2RCLQRT-21V858-5035
Recall Quarterly Report #4, 2022-3
Latest Recalls Documents
- The service solution for ALL European, North American, and Asian vehicles (Honda fluid recommended for Honda/Acura vehicles)
- Reduces friction and protects seals and hoses - extending the life of the power steering system
- Provides excellent cold and high temperature performance eliminating "morning sickness" stiffness
- Excellent for use in electric hydraulic systems
- Cleans and frees sticky turbines and pumps
- Restores performance and smoothest out hard steering
- Quiets squeal and noisy pumps
- Stops leaks
- Conditions seals
- Prevents future leaks
- Specifically developed for use in American vehicles, including GM, Ford, and Chrysler
- Compatible with original factory-fill OEM fluids
- Designed for excellent operation in extreme low and high temperatures (-40F to 266F)
- Protects against wear, foaming, and corrosion to maintain optimal performance
- Delivers excellent oxidative stability for extended fluid life
- Keeps power-steering systems running smoothly and helps stop or reduce fluid loss caused by leaky seals
- Formulated with high-quality oil and fortified with additives to revitalize dried, shrunken, and hardened seals
- Developed for use in GM, Ford, Chrysler, and most foreign cars and light trucks
- Anti-wear agents protect pump components
- Corrosion inhibitors to protect metal components
Last update on 2022-11-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.