March 18, 2019
If a window detaches from the vehicle, it may strike another vehicle or pedestrian, increasing the risk of a crash or injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V208
Manufacturer Volvo Trucks North America
Potential Number of Units Affected 11,089
Volvo Trucks has notified owners, and dealers will replace the window hinge, free of charge. Owners were notified of the recall on April 8, 2019 and will be sent a second notice when the remedy parts are available. The recall began August 21, 2019. Owners may contact Volvo Trucks customer service at 1-800-528-6586. Volvo Trucks’ number for this recall is RVXX1902.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
VOLVO Trucks North America
Greensboro, NC USA
Sleeper Bunk Window, Repair VN
SAFETY RECALL INFORMATION
Volvo Trucks has determined that a defect that relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain VN model vehicles manufactured from January 31, 2017, through January 11, 2019. The adhesive bonding the glass to the window hinge and the redundant screw attachment is insufficient to hold the window in place if the truck is driven with the sleeper bunk windows in the open position. If the window detaches from the vehicle, it may strike another vehicle or pedestrian increasing the risk of personal injury or a vehicle crash.
Volvo Trucks has received no reports of personal injury as a result of this condition. Therefore, Volvo considers this as a proactive measure to protect the public and Volvo’s customers from the potential risk associated with this defect.
Certain 2018-2020 model vehicles manufactured from January 31, 2017 through January 11, 2019
14,009 vehicles (11,089 U.S., 2,754 Canada and 166 Mexico)
|1.||Window Repair Kit||23625157||1 per 2 windows|
|2.||Special Window Tool||88800779||See note below|
NOTE: Special tool is required to perform this repair. Each dealership has been provided with 2 tools. Additional tools are not covered
DECOMMISSIONING THE TRUCK FOR REPAIR
|Do not attempt to repair or service this vehicle without having sufficient training, the correct service literature and the proper tools. Failure to follow this could make the vehicle unsafe and lead to serious personal injury or death.|
|The Illustrations shown in this document are used for reference only and may differ slightly from the actual vehicle being serviced. However, the replacement procedure is represented as accurately as possible.|
|Wear safety glasses during the duration of this repair to protect from possible inadvertent glass breakage|
- Secure the vehicle for service by parking on a flat and level surface, applying the parking brake, chocking the rear wheel, and placing the transmission in neutral. Disconnect the cable from the battery’s negative (ground) terminal.
- Remove the bug screens from the window needing repair.
- Safely place a ladder at the exterior of the window.
- Remove the “E” clip from the window latch.
- Remove the pin that secures the latch to the glass.
- Make a window support that can be used for the window repairs.
- Remove the upper hinge screws using the special tool in the kit. Some nut inserts will stay in place when the screw is removed. Nut inserts that try to spin in place can be helped with the rubber pad included in the special tool kit. If a nut insert continues to spin, cut a slot in the head of the nut insert and use a flat head screwdriver to hold in place.
- Using thin tie strap cutters, cut the glass side of the hinge from the window cab side. With the glass removed, cut the center section of the hinge from the window frame as shown. This will provide the space that is needed to mount the new hinge.
- Use a putty knife to de-bond the plastic hinge strip from the glass.
Note: Be careful when removing the plastic hinge strip not to scratch the surface.
- Remove the two nut inserts from the glass.
- Remove the two insulators from the outside glass.
- Remove the old glue from the mounting holes.
Note: Be careful removing the old glue from the mounting holes.
- Install the “E” clip from the kit on one side of each new hinge pin. There should be 4 pins in total.
- Place the two new metal hinges from the kit on the window frame and install the pins.
- Install “E” clips onto the hinge pins.
- Install two plastic nut inserts into the glass mounting holes.
- Install the glass. Install the nuts and torque (2 Nm +/- 0.1 Nm).
- Install the two nut caps. Ensure the nut covers are fully seated.
- Install the latch pin.
- Install an “E” clip on the latch pin.
- Do the same repair on the window on the other side.
- Close the windows and install the bug screens.
- Install the safety sticker as shown.
- Reconnect the batteries.
- Remove the wheel chocks.
|This repair is covered by an authorized Safety Recall campaign. Reimbursement is obtained through the normal claim handling process.|
|Claim Type (used only when uploading from the Dealer Business System)||R|
|Vehicle inspected, no repair required||1 – Inspected|
|Vehicle repaired per instructions||2 – Modified per instructions|
|Primary Labor Code
Sleeper Bunk Window, Repair (2 windows)
|8445-16-09-01 (2.0 hrs)
*if repairing 4 windows, use qty 2
|Causal Part||84754304, 84754306, 84754296, 84754298|
Note: Dealers are to perform Safety Recall Campaigns on all subject vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner regardless of mileage, age of vehicle or ownership (original purchaser or subsequent purchasers). Whenever vehicles are subject to a safety recall are brought to your dealership for service, or taken into your dealership vehicle inventory, it is strongly recommended that every effort be made to perform the recall correction before the vehicle is sold or released to the owner.
Date: March 29, 2019
From: Elizabeth Jolin – Director, Reliability
Subject: RVXX1902 Sleeper Bunk Window
- The decal shall not obscure or overlap any other decal.
- The decal shall be installed such that air bubbles are not apparent.
- The decal shall be installed such that the decal edges are firmly attached to the cab surface.
- It is not allowed for any portion of the decal to be folded under another portion of the decal.
UPPER SLEEPER WINDOW
LH INSTALLATION SHOWN
DECAL SHOULD BE INSTALLED
WITHIN THE AREA OUTLINED IN
YELLOW AND FOLLOW ALL
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS ABOVE.
LOWER SLEEPER WINDOW
LH INSTALLATION SHOWN
DECAL SHOULD BE INSTALLED
WITHIN THE AREA OUTLINED IN
YELLOW AND FOLLOW ALL
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS ABOVE.
Date: March 22, 2019
From: Gerard Hones, Regulatory Specialist Government Reporting
Subject: Safety Recall RVXX1902, Sleeper Bunk Window
Description of Defect:
The adhesive bonding the glass to the window hinge and the redundant screw attachment is insufficient to hold the window in place if the truck is driven with the sleeper bunk windows in the open position. If the window detaches from the vehicle, it may strike another vehicle or pedestrian increasing the risk of personal injury or a vehicle crash.
Models/ Model Years Affected:
Volvo: Approximately 14,009 vehicles (11,089 U.S., 2,754 Canada and 166 Mexico)
The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act and Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Act requires dealers to ensure that all new and used vehicles are free of safety defects and comply with all relevant safety standards at the time of delivery to the consumer.
Dealers should make their personnel aware of the safety recall. In the event that a dealer has a vehicle included in the safety recall in their inventory to be sold, the condition must be corrected before releasing it to a customer.
- Vehicle list will be posted on the Trucks Dealer Portal March 22, 2019.
- Interim Owner notification letters will be released on or before April 5, 2019.
Date: March 19, 2019
A safety defect has been identified on certain 2018-2020 Volvo VNL 740, VNL 760 and VNX 740 models built on January 31, 2017 through January 11, 2019 due to the potential for the sleeper bunk windows to detach and fall from the vehicle. A total of 14,009 vehicles in the United States, Canada, and Mexico are affected but do not need to be taken out of service.
Root cause analysis is still being investigated, but at this point, it appears that the adhesive bonding the glass to the window hinge and the redundant screw attachment is insufficient to hold the window in place.
We have identified a permanent solution that will require replacing the window hinge and are working to acquire the new parts to repair customer trucks. In the meantime, to reduce the risk and potential of this issue occurring, trucks should not be driven with the sleeper bunk windows in the open position.
We have not received any reports of accidents, injuries, or property damage as a result of this defect. Volvo is taking the proactive measure to conduct a voluntary safety recall to protect our customers and other road users from the potential risk related to this defect.
- For trucks built on or after January 14, 2019, the sleeper bunk windows were installed using an updated adhesive application process and pattern, as well as a larger redundant screw and washer and are not included in the recall.
- Sleeper bunk windows on the VNL 860 model are of a different design and are not affected.
- Volvo dealers may not sell or deliver any units included in this recall until the issue has been corrected.
- This recall will not impact production at the New River Valley Plant.
- Customers will be notified if their VIN is a part of the recall by a mailed letter no later than April 5, 2019.
- The affected VIN list will be uploaded on Trucks Dealer Portal by March 22, 2019 end of day.
- This recall will follow our standard process.
- When parts are available, dealers will be notified of the repair instructions and parts ordering procedure.
- A recall alert will be issued no later than March 22, 2019.
- Customers who have already paid for repairs stemming from this safety defect will be refunded.
We will continue to keep the dealer network informed as the situation develops and as we have more information.
For questions regarding this bulletin, please contact your regional vice president.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL RVXX1902
NHTSA RECALL # 19V-208 Interim Letter
DEAR VOLVO TRUCK OWNER:
At this time Volvo is working diligently to secure parts to repair affected vehicles. Until parts become available for repairs, make sure that bunk windows are shut and fastened securely whenever the vehicle is in motion. A second owner letter will be mailed when parts become available.
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Volvo Trucks North America has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain Volvo 2018-2020 VNL and VNX model vehicles manufactured from January 31, 2017 through January 11, 2019.
|SAFETY DEFECT:||The adhesive bonding the glass to the window hinge and the redundant screw attachment is insufficient to hold the window in place if the truck is driven with the sleeper bunk windows in the open position.|
|SAFETY RISK:||If the window detaches from the vehicle, it may strike another vehicle or pedestrian increasing the risk of personal injury or a vehicle crash.|
|PRECAUTIONS YOU CAN TAKE:||Until parts become available for repairs, make sure that bunk windows are shut and fastened securely whenever the vehicle is in motion.|
|TIME REQUIRED FOR THE REPAIR:||The time required to repair your vehicle is approximately 2 hours.|
|WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:||Take the precautions stated above until parts are secured for repairs. When you receive the second notification to bring your vehicle in, contact the nearest Volvo Parts and Service Center and make an appointment. The bunk window will be repaired at no charge to you.
You can locate the closest Volvo Parts and Service Center by going on line to http://www.volvo.com/trucks/na/en-us/dealers/ and selecting “Dealer Locator” or by calling our toll-free number: (800) 528-6586.
|NOTICE REGARDING LEASED VEHICLES:||If you are a Lessor of vehicles subject to this Notice, you have an obligation under Federal Law to provide a copy of this Notice to all Lessees within 10 days of your receipt of this Notice. Further, you must maintain a record, which identifies the Lessee(s) to whom you send a copy of this letter, the date you send this letter, and the Vehicle Identification Number(s) of the vehicle(s) that you have leased to that lessee. For purposes of this Notice, the term Lessor means: a person or entity that is the owner, as reflected on the vehicle’s title, of any five or more leased vehicles (as defined in CFR Section 577.4), as of the date of notification by the manufacturer of the existence of a safety-related defect or noncompliance with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard in one or more of the leased motor vehicles.|
|OWNER RECALL RESPONSE CARD:||The enclosed “Notice of Vehicle Recall” identifies your vehicle. If you no longer own the vehicle, please help us update our records by completing the “Vehicle Disposition Record” portion of the enclosed postage-free Notice of Mandatory Safety Campaign card and mailing it back to us.|
|If your vehicle has not been repaired within a reasonable time after delivering it to a Volvo Parts and Service Center, please contact:|
|PRE NOTIFICATION REMEDIES:||If you have previously paid for repairs as a result of this issue, you may be entitled to recovery of those expenses.
Submit copies of all documentation supporting your claim according to the rules specified in the “General Plan for Reimbursement of Prenotification Remedies” provided in this mailing.
We regret any inconvenience this may cause to your operation, but hope you will appreciate our sincere efforts to demonstrate Volvo’s commitment to provide our customers with the best possible product.
VOLVO TRUCKS NORTH AMERICA
6 Affected Products
14 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Interim Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
Miscellaneous Document- Sales Bulletin
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-3
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2019-4
Latest Recalls Documents
- Unique streak-free formula
- Great on windows, mirrors, computers, cell phones and television screens
- Safe on tinted windows
- Non-toxic and ammonia-free
- Use the products detailers use
- EASY TO USE – The 19-ounce no-drip EZ grip handle is convenient and comfortable to use when cleaning glass surfaces in your home, car, boat, and RV. A gentle squeeze is all it takes!
- MULTI-SURFACE CLEANER– Invisible Glass can clean more than just glass! The foamy action removes fingerprints, smudges, dirt, pet slobber, grease and smoke haze. Perfect for cleaning windows, mirrors, glass cooktops, patio doors, and chrome surfaces. Use Invisible Glass at home and at the office!
- RESIDUE FREE – The Clear Dry formula cleans and produces a brilliant shine without streaky additives like other cleaners that can leave you feeling frustrated that your glass is not clean. Enjoy absolutely zero residue on your glass. Your glass will be so clean you will think it is invisible!
- AMMONIA FREE – The Invisible Glass unique formula contains no ammonia making it safe to use on tinted and non-tinted glass.
- MADE IN USA - Proudly American-made, you can trust the quality and superior formula of this glass cleaner and window spray.
- Includes Two 19-Ounce Cans
- Features a Residue Free Formula
- Cleans without Streaky Residue
- Offers a No-Drip, Fine Mist Spray
- Safe for Use on Window Tint
- Streak-Free - Our premium 100% streak-free glass cleaning spray is specifically designed with a no-residue formula to eliminate the haze other glass cleaners leave behind. No shade required - works great in direct sunlight
- Multi-Surface - Perfect Glass works great on multiple types of surfaces such as windows, mirrors, glass surfaces, tabletops, glass cooktops, light fixtures, shower enclosures, TV screens, and more.
- Number 1 Rated - Perfect Glass was the number 1 rated glass cleaner in testing by a leading consumer magazine in 2008, 2011, and 2015, and only “took 11 strokes to clean the window, while others required 17 to 70 strokes.”
- Ammonia-Free - Perfect Glass isn’t just streak-free, it’s ammonia-free. This delivers high performance that’s safe on tint film and tinted windows.
- Safe for Screens - Our streak-free glass cleaning spray is great for all of your "screens", which in most cases is Gorilla Glass or similar. Just be sure to spray the cloth and then wipe, rather than spraying directly on the device.
- THE ORIGINAL: Trust the original windshield cleaner for reaching tight and difficult spaces at home and in your car. The Reach & Clean tool window wand cleans glass almost effortlessly.
- WASHABLE: Simply remove the washable microfiber glass cleaning bonnet and throw it in the wash for a consistent streak-free, lint-free clean that leaves any glass looking new.
- #1 SELLING AUTO GLASS CLEANER BRAND: in dollar and unit sales according to NPD Group market share data
- REUSABLE: Why waste time and money with streaky paper towels? Our Invisible Glass cleaner microfiber bonnets are reusable and leave a stunning shine that will make your windows look like new!
- EXTENDABLE: The perfect easy glass-cleaning tool for hard-to-reach places. The storage hook can be removed and a standard extension pole can be screwed on to extend your reach, making it effortless to clean glass in high or hard to reach places!
- CLEAR DRY FORMULA: The Invisible Glass CLEAR DRY formula contains no streaky soaps, scents, or dyes. Absolutely ZERO residue on your glass – just invisible glass.
- CONVENIENT SPRAY BOTTLE: This 32 oz. spray pump bottle makes it easy to squeeze out every drop of glass cleaner for a brilliant shine on all glass surfaces.
- AMMONIA-FREE: Our unique Invisible Glass formula contains no ammonia, so it’s perfect for use on tinted and non-tinted glass. Use it at home, on stainless steel appliances, in the car, on the boat, at the office, and more.
- MADE IN USA: Proudly American-made, you can trust the quality and superior formula of this glass cleaner and window spray. It’s the best super window cleaner you can buy.
- MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE: If you’re not completely satisfied with the performance of Invisible Glass Cleaner, simply let us know for a prompt and cheerful refund, guaranteed!
- Heavy-duty foam clings to vertical surfaces
- Guaranteed to leave no film
- Contains perfume-grade alcohol for best performance
- Ammonia free
- Spray and wipe clean
- Streak-Free Shine
- Removes Tough Stains
- Outperforms the Competition
- Streak-Free - Our 100% streak-free glass cleaning spray is designed with a no-residue formula to eliminate the haze that other leading glass cleaners can sometimes leave behind.
- Multiple Surfaces - Perfect Glass works great on multiple types of surfaces including tabletops, windows, light fixtures, cooktops (glass), mirrors, device screens, other glass surfaces, and more
- Number 1 Rated - Rated number 1 in testing by a leading consumer magazine in 2008, 2011, and 2015, our Perfect Glass cleaning spray only “took 11 strokes to clean the window, while others required 17 to 70 strokes.”
- No Ammonia- Perfect Glass is ammonia-free. This ensures that the product still delivers high performance that’s safe safe on tinted and tint film windows.
- Safe for Device Screens - Our streak-free glass cleaner is great for all or most of your "screens". Just be sure to spray the cloth and then wipe the surface, rather than spraying directly on the device.
- ✔Fast and Easy to Cleaning Auto Windshield: Most used to dread cleaning their car mainly because of that it was a big hassle to clean the windshield. Not anymore! Clean car window interiors and exteriors. No more hurting your back. The windshield cleaner is designed with the Extra Long extension handle and pivoting head getting to those hard-to-reach car window bases is simple. XINDELL windshield cleaning tool can remove more dirt and dust, easy to clean the hard-to-reach areas effortlessly.
- ✔Helps get the hard-to-reach area of vehicle windshield pretty well! Car windshield cleaning kit designed with 180°swiveled triangular head to make a complete contact to the glass, which fit with the glass surface very well, easy to clean the bottom of car windows or some hard-to-reach areas, from interior to exterior, easy to use and effortless. Long ergonomic handle, easily extend to hard-to-reach window bases, leaving surfaces for even cleaning.
- ✔Multiple Uses: Works great as a fog & moisture removal tool. Easy windshield cleaner is safe to use on all surfaces and won’t scratch, ideal for interior & exterior cleaning, great for cars, such as trucks, SUVs and recreational vehicles of all sizes. The EASY windshield cleaning brush tool also are suitable for kitchens, bathrooms, furniture, mirrors, ceramic, shower stalls and other household needs! Also ideal for de-misting your windscreen in winter. No need to wait your vehicle warm up.
- ✔Anti-skid & Durable: The cleaning pad pole use aluminum alloy material, lightweight and won’t rust, more durable than plastic one, the end of the handle is with soft sponge, non-slip and comfortable to hold. 3 pcs Washable & Reusable Pads made of fine fiber fluffed material, can remove more dirt and dust, easy to clean, which helps keep it effective. The microfiber cloth helps to remove dirt, dust, and fingerprints on the glass. Great Design Car Window Cleaner!
- ✔Special Instructions: ●Interior Windshield Cleaning: Can be used dry pad or spray a small amount of water on the pad and wipe clean. Refrain from drenching the surface or smudges will appear. ●Exterior Windshield Cleaning: Can be used dry pad. ●Fog Removal: simply wipe glass with no added water or liquid chemical. ●Stubborn stains on the glass: Can be spray a little Glass Cleaning Fluid for wiping. ●No chemical or soap is needed to clean the surface, just a little water.
Last update on 2020-07-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-07-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API